Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Molly

Sunday was what would have been Molly's second birthday.

As we did when Molly was here with us, and we've tried to continue doing since she left, we made this event a celebration of her brief but important life. I (and all of you should as well) give my wife all the credit for making this happen.

First we went to church for a mass in Molly's memory; then we went to the cemetery; then we had a small brunch at our house. It was terrific to have our friends and families with us for these events. As was the case with the triathlon a couple weeks ago: staying busy and surrounding ourselves with loved ones makes things a little easier.

When we were at the cemetery Erin said a little poem about butterflies and then we all let live butterflies go. My mom got us these butterflies from Swallowtail Farms that we released by Molly's marker. A lot of them flew away immediately, but a few stuck around. One landed on Gavin's shirt and stayed there for a while, and another landed on the flowers next to Molly's marker.

I am not a big believer in "signs", but since someone suggested Molly was now a butterfly I must say I have seen a few that might make me change my mind. These two butterflies certainly did their part. Plus, I guess, when someone is gone and you're coming to terms with the fact that you'll never see them again [please refer back to the old blog and some long ago post where I promised no religion or politics in this space] you start looking for ways to keep them close.

At any rate, it was as nice a day as one could ask for considering the circumstances.

Additionally, a number of people brought gifts to be donated to RWJ Child Life Services. When Molly was in the hospital they always made sure she had a mobile or a swing. They also provided a place for Gavin to go get some energy out. Erin felt this would be a good way to remember Molly, and thank the folks at Child Life. So yesterday we delivered a boatload of toys for them to add to their collection. I think we may try to make this an annual thing.

Happy birthday, Bear.

No comments: